|Module Title:||Strategic Management||Module Code:||6BUS1264-0105|
|Assignment Format & Maximum Word count||Individual Report – 1500 words||Weighting||50%|
|Coursework Submission:||Time: 23.59
Date: Sunday 10th April
|Coursework return Date returned to students:||Monday 9th May|
|Module leader||Garry Goodwin / Christopher Nicholas||First marker||Various|
|Internal Moderator||Approved ü
|Module Board name||Strategy|
|External Examiner||Approved ü
|Module Board date||31st May 2022|
|Learning Outcomes: Knowledge and Understanding tested in this assignment:|
· Analyse the factors that affect strategic decision making, including those impacting economic, social, and environmental objectives
· Critically examine a range of theoretical approaches to the evaluation of an organization’s strategic situation, choices, and implementation of options for change
|Learning Outcomes: Skills and Attributes tested in this assignment:|
· Research, diagnose, and analyze a complex range of strategic problems
|Apprenticeship Specific Criteria: Knowledge and Skills:|
|Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship students only:
CMI 1.1 to 1.6 inclusive, 2.5, 2.6, 3.3, 4.1 and 4.2
Refer to canvas for full details: https://herts.instructure.com/courses/91779/pages/apprenticeship-criteria-addressed-in-this-module
|Feedback /Marking criteria for this Assignment|
| The performance will be assessed using HBS Grading Criteria and Mark scheme.
Guidance for improvement will be given in writing on the Assessment Feedback Form or via Canvas within 4 weeks of submission.For each day or part-day up to five days after the published deadline, coursework submitted late will have the numeric grade reduced by 10 grade points until or unless the numeric grade reaches 40 for levels 4, 5, and 6 or 50 for level 7 (PG). Where the numeric grade awarded for the assessment is less than 40 for levels 4, 5 and 6, or 50 for level 7, no lateness penalty will be applied. However, if a submission is more than 5 working days after the published deadline, a grade of zero will be awarded.
|Detailed Brief for Individual Assessment|
|Assignment Title: Individual Report
Description of the assignment, task, content, and structure:
Introduction (150 words at least) – a brief outline of the case study organization and the context for the following analysis – i.e. the scope/boundaries in terms of geography and markets.
Corporate strategic analysis (500 words at least) – using any one of Ansoff’s Matrix, BCG Matrix, or a vertical and horizontal integration diagram assess the organisation’s current corporate strategies – what evidence can you provide that their strategies are working well, or not?
Recommendation (150 words at least) – recommend one new corporate strategic option for the organization to consider and outline its potential benefits.
Critically examine the model/ theory/ framework you have used for your analysis above (approx. 550 words) – what are its advantages and disadvantages, and what is your assessment of its usefulness in the world we find ourselves in for 2022 and beyond?
Justify all of your points/analysis with data, figures, research – e.g. Xyz business unit or product/service is a dog – use data such as declining sales figures/revenues and market share information to support that assessment.
Do not use prepopulated analysis undertaken by others that you may be able to find online. You can use news articles, company documents/reports, market data etc to support your own analysis. Any suspected plagiarism or other academic conduct offenses will be investigated thoroughly, and if proven, penalties will apply. You are strongly encouraged to refer to the CASE guidance on academic integrity and referencing. https://www.studynet1.herts.ac.uk/ptl/common/asu.nsf/Teaching+Documents?Openview&count=9999&restricttocategory=Harvard+Referencing+and+Academic+Integrity
Any specific instructions:
Ensure that you use an appropriate report format – you should have the following: a cover page, an executive summary, a table of contents, page numbers, and a reference list. None of this is included in the word count. You should not have any appendices; they are not required – marks will not be allocated to any work provided in appendices.
|Student Support and Guidance
· For further help, contact your module leader in their drop-in hours or by email.
· Use the Grading Criteria and Mark Scheme to help improve your work.
· Go to CASE workshops, use the CASE website and drop-in hours www.studynet.herts.ac.uk/go/CASE/
· Academic English for Business support is available through daily drop-ins from the CASE office. See the CASE workshop timetable on the CASE main website page for details.
· Further down the Online Library page the Subject Toolkit for Business, under Specialist databases provides access to industry-standard business information databases.
· For an overview of Library & Computing Services see Get Started, one of the Library SkillUP units.
· Library SkillUP can also help you develop your skills in Searching, Reading, Evaluating, and Referencing information.
· Use Library SkillUP to speak to a Librarian via Chat, join a Library Skills session or make a 1-to-1 appointment with a librarian. See what workshops are on offer as part of our Online Study Success Hub program
· Some tutors allow students to test their work using Turnitin. Guidance on submission to Turnitin via StudyNet can be found by using the following link. http://www.studynet1.herts.ac.uk/ptl/common/asu.nsf/resource+library/TURNITIN+FOR+STUDENTS+2016+USER+GUIDE.pdf/$FILE/TURNITIN+FOR+STUDENTS+2016+USER+GUIDE.pdf