Policy area: Communications, Climate Action & Environment
- You are an independent economic consultant.
- The Irish Government, the EU, and OECD have together requested you to prepare a briefing document on the effectiveness of Ireland’s performance/achievements in a key policy area. The analysis is being undertaken in the context of COVID 19, Brexit, uncertainty in the global economy, etc. The purpose is to identify how Ireland’s performance in the specific area compares to a particular EU country. In effect, you are benchmarking Ireland against this other country. The objective is to identify what Ireland does well, and what it does not do well, in the specific policy area. Critically, you are asked to identify recommendations and/or strategies for the future.
- You must write the briefing report which outlines your key findings. The document must be supported with evidence and correct data (you will need to use appendices). Remember, Ireland can learn from other countries, but equally, other countries can learn from Ireland.
- WORD COUNT: 2750 words at least (excluding table of contents, executive summary, appendices, references, etc.)
- DEADLINE: To be discussed.
What the report must include
There are essentially 3 key elements to the report
Part 1 – a review of the Irish Government budget and its parts
- Your analysis should initially explain the Irish government’s intervention in this policy area. This will have to consider the amount spent by the government in its annual budget on this policy area. It will also consider the different elements of that expenditure (i.e. how much is spent on different initiatives). So, you will have to examine the Irish government budget (official websites only)
Part 2 – a section that benchmarks Ireland in the policy area you have allocated, relative to an EU country
- Analysis of key data will be relevant here. In this first instance, you must briefly review intervention in the other EU country in this area. You will have to compare the two countries on key indicators. Remember, this will require differentiation of INPUTS (how much is being spent on a particular initiative or area) vs OUTPUTS (how is the country performing – has it good outcomes – does it look like it is effective expenditure?)
Part 3 – a RECOMMENDATIONS section on the key findings of your report
- You will consider the future outlook of the Irish economy and propose recommendations/strategies for the country in the policy area, (bearing in mind the context of COVID, Brexit, etc).
The key policy areas are as follows:
- Communications, Climate Action & Environment
- Policy area: Communications, Climate Action & Environment!!!!!!!!!!!
- The assignment should identify any concepts/definitions that you are using in your argument
- Support your argument with examples, DATA, EVIDENCE, and references.
- You can draw on information from the media, newspaper articles, journal articles, etc. (YOU DON’T HAVE TO REINVENT THE WHEEL)
- You can use footnotes, appendices, graphs, statistics, etc.
- Include a full list of references
- Structure your report clearly, for example:
- Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Section 1 (give a TITLE)
- Section 2 (TITLE)
- Conclusion & Recommendations
Remember: this is just an example. You may have more sections. But make sure each section has a title.
PRESENTATION, FORMAT, AND STRUCTURE
- Assignments must be typed, 12-point font, spell-checked, page numbered, and proofread. A word count MUST be included: limit = 3,000 words
- A full list of all references used in the report must be included at the back of the report.
- No two assignments should be similar
Order this assignment with us!!